Thursday, October 9, 2008

Gulyas

Chaotic beginnings aside, the weekend was lovely. Most of Friday, Johnny Walker and I skipped lessons in order to register in Eger. There, while waiting for the necessary new stamp in my passport, we found Tara. Together we rode back to Heves, and the geography teacher, after scolding me for not calling my colleagues when Tara was lost, showed us which bus we should take to Szolnok.
Cups of tea and scoops of ice cream later, we packed up and hopped on the bus. Emily, laughing at our bus antics, met us at the station.
That night T and I met some of Emily’s friends. We just chilled out, and I was kissed on the hand by some old guy, but in retrospect, at least he let go of my hand right afterwards, unlike the last guy who kissed my hand.

At the festival the next day we watched nun/rapping grannies and small children dancing to drinking songs. Later we met Jeb and Tomi. Together we ate a plethora of Gulyas and wandered through the stalls. Tara and I had a hill-rolling race, and although I won the battle, I lost the war. I rolled the fastest and the farthest, but Tara managed to find the section of the hill without stinging nettles and poison oak.
Later we met up with Attila, who ‘bought’ a belly dancer at a ‘slave auction’ for roughly $5. Despite only buying one, our table managed to collect all of the belly dancers, and Attila convinced one of them to dance on our wobbly table.
After the slave auction, a singer preformed old, and according to the Hungarian speakers, cheesy love songs. It was pretty fun, and Attila and I danced, because neither Emily nor Tara would dance with us.
All too soon the festival was over and we were whisked away to Ujszasz and J’s place. The next morning awesome J made us banana bread and pancakes. We wandered, found a castle, which had been converted into an old-folks home, and went back to J’s for lunch. Sitting on her kitchen floor, eating thick sliced bread covered in various condiments and Hungarian sausage, was peaceful and delicious. Then all too soon had to catch our respected means of transportation home.

No comments: