Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I've got good news and bad news...

This is the sentence with which I have been beginning all of my classes. This week 18 of my 22 classes were supposed to have a test, which due to my inability to print their tests, have been either outright canceled or pushed back to January. So instead we have been playing games and having discussion days. This has lead to slightly more mayhem than usual, but only slightly.
However the relaxed atmosphere of my classes has thrown the differing levels of respect into sharp relief.

My kids ask, and say things to me that I would have been too mortified to ask any of my teachers. For example, I now know that not imagining my expanding pudge, because my 9b asked if I was pregnant today. And one of my shy 12B students, who is actually really good in English, caught up with me on my way home, and asked me how old I am, if I have a boyfriend, and will I go to the ribbon ceremony on Friday. Wictor, who got extra homework for cussing in class, tried to wheedle it down as I passed him on my way home.

On the other hand, they are also extremely old-fashioned in their respect. They call out greetings, both in English if they can, and Csokolom (I kiss your hand), if they can not. At lunch, teachers usually cut the line, which I feel a little guilty about. Today one of my girl’s waited for me to get my cutlery and then motioned me before her. Another student Gabor, chased me down to hand me a slip of paper that had dropped out of my pocket. Telling one of my classes that I was going home for christmas, a look of panic came over their faces and one asked "when are you coming back?" After I assured them that I would be back in January, they looked relieved, and said "good."

4 comments:

jamieldowning said...

I had three kids ask if I am coming back next year. . .after telling them I am staying here for Christmas and not going home until at least June.

jeremy said...

so.....you're NOT pregnant?

Brieggy said...

oh good heavens no. I about passed out with shock at the thought. Nope Nevenap cakes and lack of finding somewhere to work out has expanded my waistline

Emily said...

I've come to the conclusion that they think that questions in English somehow "don't count," that's why they ask whatever the hell they want. I guess that's a more reassuring idea than considering that we, as foreigners, don't count as real people to them.