Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Neni: hungarian for matchmakers...

My phone rang, and thinking it was Tara I picked up.

"Kezi csokolom, Laci itt" burbled the voice on the other line. Laci? I ransacked my brain. Good Lord...could it be?

Three hours earlier:

Sleepy and comfortably full from lunch (Makkos teszta which I gave to Urban Jeno and soup), I meandered my way home. I had not petted my favorite dog in a while, so I planned on stopping for a good ten minutes.

Walking slowly up, I saw the lady who owned the dog opening the gate to another lady. She saw me stop and hesitate.  "gyere ide" (come here) she waved me in the gate. Thanking her, I promptly cuddled and petted the small waggling creature that lured me to her gate. The two ladies exchanged small talk, and asked my name. Then they called "gyere ide" and waved me inside. I was struck for a moment. It is a big deal to be invited into some one's house, and here were two strangers waving me in.

Inside we ate baked apples, and shared some small talk. Mostly the little old ladies chatted, and I nodded and smiled. My Hungarian is largely non-existent, so I smile a lot. We discussed grand kids, and one of the ladies, who will visit her daughter in Canada this summer, asked about help with English. "Absolutely" I said. So I gave the ladies my phone number. We also discussed one of the lady's 29 year old son. Now I should have been suspicious when they asked about my boyfriend...and my weekend plans. I told them about going to Budapest, and then to Mariapocs. I tried to explain that there was going to be a ball. However, I think I may have made a mistake, as the ladies started saying "Laci go Mariapocs" Confusion and smiling took over. 

It was time to leave, and the lady who was visiting also got ready to walk home. We walked out together, and conversed in smiles (me) and rapid-fire Hungarian. She then invited me in. I demurred, but followed her in. She has an amazing house, which she showed me. Then, handing me a slip of paper with Laci (her son)'s phone number, we walked out. 

I walked home, dazed but happy having met two new Hungarians.

So three hours later I was surprised when Laci called me. Our conversation ran something like this:

"Hello I am Laci, my mother told me to call you"

"Oh, ummm Hello. I am Briggi"

"Do you know why my mother asked me to call you?" 

"Umm...not really. Maybe because I know that many people in Heves"

"My mother is a great organizer. Well shall we be friends?"

"Yes, I think so."

I think I have made a new friend. 



3 comments:

Hanna said...

What fun, enjoy the fact that you are DEFINITELY cute enough to be set up over and over!

Lauren said...

LOL. Splendid. And how fabulous to have a friend!

jeremy said...

first comes love...then comes marriage...then comes a kismagyar baby in the baby carriage!